Art Month | Year Round Schooling



In our first year of homeschooling, I took my cues from the only type of schooling I had ever known and let my kids have the summer off. The next year, I was quite irritated to find that the first 2 months of the curriculum I had bought were basically a review of what my kids had learned in the last year. Then, I found out why. They had forgotten nearly everything! I decided that wasn't happening again. I set my sights on 4 days a week with mini 1 to 2 week vacations as we needed them. 

It worked fabulously! In our third year, the kids were so far ahead in November, I decided to put aside everything but reading spelling and math drills until Christmas so we could concentrate on creating handmade gifts for everyone on our lists! 

I could not have anticipated the results! We learned to sew, paint, and craft and had all sorts of fun, but that wasn't the best part. My children were so excited about the gifts they were creating that they pretty much forgot about the ones they would receive. Even extended family noticed and commented! It was very strange they said. LOL!

Since then, the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas have been officially declared "Art Month" Give it a try! You will be surprised!

God Bless You All!

~ Grama Sue


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day At My House | A Homeschool Routine Example

Spelling | Throw It All Out!

Number Sense | Recognizing Different Forms of Numerals