A Day At My House | A Homeschool Routine Example

 



We don't follow a strict schedule at my house, but we do have a basic routine because routines help kids feel secure. Every family will have a different routine because every family is different. Here's a typical day at my house:

In the morning, the kids get up and watch tv quietly while I work on my Bible name translation project, schedule posts on my FB page, or work on learning the foreign languages I want to learn. 

When the kids get hungry, we have breakfast, brush teeth and hair, and get dressed. Then we do our morning chores and head outside to play for a bit. 

Once we have the wiggles out, I read the kids their pick of library books and do a project or play a game, followed by snack time.

Next, I work with each of the kids individually while the other plays educational games on the computer.

After lunch, we head outside again for at least 1/2 hour, and then it's rest time. Each of the kids picks out a Bible cartoon and everyone sits quietly until they are over. Then the kids are free to play for the afternoon. Usually, they spend it outside, riding bikes, playing with the animals, or digging in the dirt piles we still have from the house construction. Afternoon snack time usually happens around 2:30 or 3. 

I spend the afternoon doing chores around the house or outside with frequent breaks to check on email and Facebook or finish up the computer work I didn't get to in the morning. My teenage granddaughter often comes for the afternoon so I can work with her on math and so she can play with the littles.

After 5, the kids are allowed to watch tv or play on their tablets again, but they are usually too busy playing to notice. We have supper around 6 or 7. Then we play or watch something on tv until bedtime. Finally, it's bedtime snack, get ready for bed, and prayers. 

If hubby is still awake, I will sit with him for around an hour and then hit the hay myself. 

So there you have it. Some days, we go to the library or appointments, and some days we switch things around due to the weather, but mostly this is how it goes!

What's a typical day look like at your house?

Comments

  1. Can I ask, what time do you and the kids wake up? So far this is pretty similar to our day, except by the time morning chores are done and we've gone outside it's nearly 10:30, then reading done by 11, and then everyone's "starving" got lunch, so I'm constantly feeling guilty for that morning outside time because they still have all their school work to do after lunch, but they're so wiggly if we don't

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I didn't see this comment until now. We get up between 8 and 9. I let the kids sleep as long as they want most days. It's usually between 10 and 11 that we start school and we usually have some left to do in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated to prevent inappropriate content.

Popular posts from this blog

Spelling | Throw It All Out!

Throw Out The Math Books!